I LOVE NOODLES!
The problem . . . the gluten in them does not love me. In addition, despite my denial, this heavy carbohydrate dinner makes me feel sluggish and foggy through the evening. This may be okay if I leave the dinner table and head to the couch, but after dinner is by far the busiest time of day for this mom.
My problem was solved with my favorite vegetable. . . . zucchini spiralized into noddles. In this recipe, I toss the zoodles with an amazingly healthy avocado pesto full of healthy fats and antioxidants.
The best part. . . it was so pretty and bright green on a summer evening!
4 cups Zucchini, spiralized
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 cup Spinach
1 cup Fresh Basil
2 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Pine nuts, toasted
2 tbs Nutritional Yeast (or Parmesan cheese if you aren’t dairy free)
1/2 cup Olive or Avocado Oil
1. Spiralize your zucchini (should be about 4 small or 2 large zucchini to make 4 cups), toss with sea salt, wrap in a paper towel and set aside.
2. Add Remaining ingredients, except for the oil to a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Slowly add Olive or Avocado Oil to running food processor to emulsify.
4. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat on the stove top. Add about a 1/4 cup pesto.
5. Squeeze water out of zucchini with paper towel and add to skillet, tossing to combine until pesto and zucchini is warm (Don’t overcook or the squash loses its “pasta” texture).
5. Serve immediately with optional pine nut and/or basil garnish.