I call this “anti aging” lemon custard because it contains gelatin. Science shows that gelatin helps the body regulate cell growth and improves the strength, elasticity, and smoothness of tissues (resulting in fewer wrinkles). The healthy fats from the coconut milk and immune boosting antioxidants in the berries add even more to the healthy skin, hair, and nails effect.
BONUS: It’s a light and refreshing summer treat that will satisfy a serious dessert craving.
1 can Coconut Milk (full fat)
1/2 Lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
10 drops Liquid Stevia
1 tsp Gelatin*
2 Egg Yolks
Berries for Topping (optional)
1. Mix together coconut milk, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, Stevia, and gelatin in a saucepan and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Then, place saucepan on the stove and turn to medium heat. Whisk in the egg yolks.
3. Stir constantly (to prevent clumps) for about 5 minutes until the mixture is heated and bubbles begin to appear around the edges (do NOT all the mixture to come to a boil).
4. Pour into 4 small serving cups or ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until completely chilled.
5. Top with raspberries or other fruit before serving. Enjoy!
*This is NOT Jello. I use Great Lakes Unflavored Bovine Gelatin in the red canister (the green canister is hydrolysate and will not “gel”). Since gelatin is an animal product, it is important to choose a quality product.