Now that school is out and summer is upon us, it is time to get a pedicure and allow my toes to enjoy the freedom of flip flops. The problem is, new aches and pains arise when I ditch the support of my sneakers for the comfort of summer footwear.
Why does my body make such a fuss over my footwear?
You see, your feet are the foundation of your whole body. Lack of support leads to inflammation and misalignment. Changes in your walking patterns including shorter step length and instability can cause longer-term ankle, knee, hip, or back problems.
Other flip-flop injuries include:
- Hammer toes from repetitive gripping of your toes
- Tendinitis from the inward turn of your ankles
- Plantar fascia inflammation causing arch and heel pain
- Stress fractures due to lack of shock absorption
I’m not going to tell you to ditch the flip flops though. We just need to set some rules to stay pain-free this summer. Ready?
Here are the 5 rules to prevent foot pain:
- Find a pair that fits properly without your heel or toes hanging off.
- Buy a pair with a thicker sole that does not bend too easily in the middle
- Look for shoes with a snug strap to prevent toe gripping
- Search for footwear with a built up arch for support
- Limit the amount of time and distance you walk in them
When shopping for any footwear, find the most supportive shoes possible (no shoe should be able to bend in half). And for serious walking and sightseeing this summer, opt for those sneakers or other shoes that can be fitted with a supportive orthotic. Stop by the clinic or give us a call (901-316-5456) to discuss your flip flop and orthotic options. Yes, we have found a flip flop in the most fun summer colors that fits all 5 flip flop rules!
If you try these tips and still are having foot and/or ankle pain, you might need to try a few more things to keep moving through your summer comfortably. Head over to our website and download our FREE report:
Written by our Doctors of Physical Therapy, you will find tips and tricks you can try on your own, at home, to start getting relief TODAY. Just click the link below to get the report for yourself.