I can not get enough of Italian food! I love the complex flavors and how easy it is for me to sneak in a few extra veggies to our meals.
Spaghetti squash replaced the noodles in this dish to make it gluten-free. If you are lucky enough to eat dairy without a problem, a good Parmesan or mozzarella makes this more amazing.
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 lb Italian Style Sausage (I used chicken)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups Spinach, chopped
- Optional – 1 cup Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Drizzle 1 tbs olive oil and salt on the inside of the spaghetti squash then bake until tender – about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat the remaining 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook about 5 minutes, until no longer pink, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onion, garlic, and seasoning and cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spinach and cook an additional 5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Scrape the flesh from the inside of the squash into a baking dish and top with the sausage mixture (optional – add shredded Parmesan or mozzarella on top). Cook an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.